Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review: The Mask

SPOILER ALERT: There are spoilers throughout the entirety of this review



The Mask is in fact Stanley Ipkiss, a pushover-helpless-romantic bank clerk by day and a romantic wild man  by night. After having a really bad day he finds the mask in a river, thought to be where Loki, Norse night god of mischief, has been exiled to. After putting the mask on the wearers inner self comes out, in Stanley's case this is a cartoony romantic wild man. For Dorian Tyrel this is a sadistic, menacing, human being. Dorian Tyrel is a small time crime boss that happens to come across Stanley after "The Mask", Stanley's alter ego, kills his friend during a crime. Tyrel vowed to take revenge, he even went as far as to put his own girlfriends life on the line. In the end Stanley got the woman of his dreams and lives happily ever after.

This film was fairly quick paced throughout its entirety; I never got bored. I instantly got the sense that Stanley is a pushover, but I liked his character, he's just a nice guy. 
I did pick up on a message being sent by this film. Simply put, don't repress a part of you because you may feel uncomfortable to show people that side of you; you must have a balance with every aspect of yourself in order to be the happiest you can be.

The direction of the actors was spot on. Chuck Russell did a great job on this film. Though I did not feel a specific connection with Stanley Ipkiss I did get a great sense of the type of person he is, realistic, and I did enjoy watching Stanley go through his dilemma. 
The cinematography by John R. Leonetti, the Director of Photography, was great. As a filmmaker I of course thought to myself how I would have framed a scene just a touch differently but that is normal for me. Every shot in this film was great and helped portray the message that the Director was attempting to convey.
I think the casting for Stanley Ipkiss, Jim Carrey, was perfect for this character. Jim Carrey played his character flawlessly throughout this film. Peter Greene, Dorian Tyrel, and Cameron Diaz, Tina Carlyle, were just as good. The casting department did a great job. 
The set designers also did a great job, every scene looked very realistic and seemed perfect for the shot.


I give The Mask an 8 out of 10
A childhood favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment